Challenge 3: Usability and redesign
1. User Type
Elements of the brief:
Young couple — 20–40 y/o (2)
You and your partner decide to go to a special place next summer. You realize you have both saved enough for the tickets and are planning to save as much as possible for the next 6 months to do this trip. You want to be efficient and have everything you need organized to enjoy at 100% while there. Even if you’re young, you want to have special moments to celebrate being together.
Paul and Sarah, respectively 28 and 27 years old, have been in couple for 2 years. They are based in Paris and work in marketing sector as junior manager. They met each other thanks to their friends. As most of them they are working a lot and need to make a holiday break this summer to escape from their routine. However they don’t want to spend to much time to reach their destination to optimize their free-time and want to pay attention to their budget. Many of their friends have been in Lisboa and recommend the place as a good value for money. They have done their research and are really convinced that it’s a young, pleasant and accessible destination. As it seems to fit their expectations, they now need to benchmark flights, accomodations and even car rental because they want to be independent from public transport.
Here is the specifics of the destination:
- Nearest airport / most convenient airport to destination: Humberto Delgado airport (7 kilometers from city center)
- Currency: euro
- Medical needs and documentation: only a valid passeport is required (EU)
- Wardrobe recommendations: light clothes, sunglasses, swimwear (an average of 25° degrees and maximum 2 rainy days/month)
- Days needed to visit attraction: 3 days for a city overview of the most famous monument such as Belem Tower, Santa Justa elevator, Praça do Comércio, Sé Catedral, National Pantheon, Santuário Nacional do Cristo Rei and modern place like Lx Factory.
They tested many application Kayak, Skyscanner, Trip Advisor and Hopper. They finally opt for Kayak 🥇 which seems to be the more complete one according to their preferences (possibility to book a flight, an accomodation and a car).
They start their searches:
- 600 euros/2 travellers
- from 18th of june to 22th of june
- a medium car
- a direct flight
- 4 stars hotel
6. Redesign Wireframes
The insights show a paint point according the filters and criteria. It leads to a frustration for the users. They leave the control of their searches despite their will to get the most personalize offer. They decided to trust the algorythm.
Here is the solution I created to clear this features:
Thanks for your interest about my article. I have to admit that it has been quiet difficult to find something to redesign, as a young UX/UI enthusiast, on this application which is really well made and exhaustive!